Family is the most important thing in a child’s life. It is so because the importance of family in a child’s life and development cannot be measure in words. One of the most popular ways in which little kids begin to understand different things is by observing them in their day-to-day life and that can happen only in the security of their home and family.
Family’s maximum influence on a child’s development and progress can be seen in the way a child behaves socially. This is because a family is the first social group in which a child participates. This group has the biggest impact on a child’s mental, physical, emotional and social development.
11 Major Roles Played by a Family in the Child’s Development
Family plays a huge role in a child’ progress and all over development. It is the most important influence in the child’s life and will always remain so.
From the moment a child is born, he is told that his family will never let him down and no matter what he thinks, the family will always be there for him, and will provide him forever unconditional support. A family always guides the child and teaches him good and positive things.
Let us learn about the 11 major roles played by a family in the child’s development.
1. Provide Good Education
The most important role of a family in a child’s life is to provide him with good education. It needs to ensure that it can give the right kind of education to the child so that he becomes successful in life.
Good education is the key to good life. It will help him develop the abilities to understand and find out what is right and what is wrong for him. If you need help finding the right kind of preschool for your child, then you can read our reviews conducted on some of the schools, by us, like Podar Jumbo Kids and Euro Kids.
2. Provide for all the Child’s Desires and Needs
The primary responsibility for all the kids is to provide for all the child’s desires and needs. They need to ensure that all his desires of good clothes, food and other needs are well met.
3. Cognitive Development
A family and all its members play a very crucial in improving the cognitive skills of a growing child. These skills help a child learn to pay attention and be able to remember things. They also have a positive impact on the child’s ability to respond and assist him to grow up to become better human beings.
4. Socio-cultural Development
Young kids are very observant. They see how their parents and family members react while settling an argument or discussing a happy incident. Based on what they see, the children learn a lot of positive values, which help in their social and cultural progress.
Through this kind of development, the children get to understand how they should behave when they are in the company of the others.
5. Physical Development
Members of the family ensure that the child gets proper physical development. They try to teach him about becoming a healthy person, who should exercise regularly, eat the right kind of food so that he becomes physically healthy and fit. Parents could also lead by example, by following a healthy lifestyle for the kid to follow.
Recommended Reads: Best Extracurricular Activities for Preschoolers/ Nursery Kids
6. Mental Development
Family make the child mentally fit. It teaches them to accept not just success but also failures and helps them overcome all kinds of struggle that they face in life. It makes them ready to face difficulties by teaching them self-discipline and being willing to accept feedback.
7. Spiritual Development
Family teaches spirituality to the children. It helps the kids understand religion, mythology and prayer. It also teaches how to differentiate between right from wrong. This helps them realise a sense of purpose in their life.
Recommended Reads: Why is Holistic Development Important for a Child?
8. Instill Positivity
Young kids are easily impressionable. They tend to easily believe what they are being told; especially negative things and at times even get afraid or scared due to them. In such a case, family comes in handy. It is the primary responsibility to instil positivity in the child’s mind and life.
It also ensures that he understands that he needn’t be afraid or scared of things and be always ready and positive towards the upcoming struggles of life.
9. Be Sensitive and Emotional
A family should always be sensitive towards all the child’s needs and demands. Even if they are very small or trivial, parents should understand them and try to fulfil those demands.
When a child understand that his family will always be there for him, only then will he be comfortable to tell them all his problems and difficulties that he might be facing, without any hesitation.
10. Regular Interaction
Not just in preliminary but at all stages of life, a regular and healthy interaction between the child and his family is very important. Frank and open interactions help in identifying difficulties, facing all the circumstances, proper time management and lead to efficient problem-solving in the lives of young kids.
11. Build Love and Trust in All Relationships
One of the major roles that families play in a child’s life is to teach and guide them to build love and trust in all their relationships. They tell them that they should love all their fellow beings and create trust for each other, only then will they be able to have good and faithful relations, which will be beneficial for them.
Why the Role of Family in Childs Development is Important?
It is always said that you don’t choose your family. It is God’s gift to you. It also turns out to be the foundation that helps a child realise that someone will always be there for him (good and bad). It also makes him believe that and that all his needs will be understood and met and never go unheard of.
Following are some of the reasons why a family is important in a child’s life.
- Values: Family is important because it shapes a child and teaches positive and good values to a child. It instils these values in him and they make him mentally and emotionally strong and ready to face the difficult situations of the life.
- Respect: Family teaches the child about the concept of respect. If he is being treated with respect, then he will also treat his parents as well the others with the same amount of respect.
- Language: Family is the first teacher that a child has. It teaches him to communicate and the way to do so. It teaches the child his mother tongue so that he can communicate in it and learns the importance and value of it. In this way, he also learns to respect his mother tongue and culture.
- Compassion: Family is important for a child because it teaches him compassion and sympathy. It tells him that they need to be kind and compassionate towards the others and especially towards those who are less fortunate than them.
- Socialising: From the infanthood itself family takes a child to meet different people and relatives. So, in this manner it teaches a child the importance of socialising. This practice of socialising also leads to children being able to make new friends. Read our article: Role of Family in Socialization of a Child
- Sharing and caring: Family is the first part that teaches the concept of sharing and caring to the child. It tells them that sharing is good and that they must always do so. They also learn that if they share things with others, then others will also do the same with them.
- Comfort and security: Family is quite important for children because it provides them comfort. It acts as an additional security around them and they realise that if they are in the comfort of their homes or around their families no harm can befall on them and they will be safe, sound and healthy.
Why Family is the Most Important Part in the Development of a Person?
God has given us many surprises; but the best one is our family. They are the first relations that we develop and the last to stay with us, till we part the world. In fact, family is not just a group of people who stay together. It is a concept an expression, a forever promise of support and togetherness.
Having a family means that you will always have someone to back you up, who you can depend upon, share your sorrows and happiness with. However, along with all this, for a person, having a family means to have care and respect for another person and sense of responsibility as well.
For a person, family means unconditional and unquestioned love and support. It defines those people who will be there for him through his thick and thin. Also, the most important about having a family is that it encourages you, understands you and tries to give you comfort and support in all your endeavours.
All these things impact a person and his thinking. They make him feel secure and happy from inside as well as outside, irrespective of whatever is going on in his life. It is also one of the primary reasons why the importance of family in child development is quite high.
Recommended Reads: Positive/Negative? Internet Influence on Kids
We just learnt about the concept of family and how it is so important and gives care, affection, support and the right kind of guidance to all its members. Members of family also support each other and share their joys and sorrows.
Young children are generally completely and totally dependent upon their parents. They look up to them and think that they will protect and safeguard them and keep them away from all kinds of harm and save them from all the life’s troubles and difficulties.
If you want to analyse, as to why the role of family in child development is important, then you can analyse it from this fact only that whenever a person feels insecure or unsafe, he always comes back to his family for help.
Being with his family shows a child that he is appreciated and loved and that can be a great source of motivation for his whole life.